Header Image
 Your stuff and other issues


What about your stuff?
If there are still some things at your family home that you would like to have, you can talk to your case worker about trying to get them for you. It is a good idea to have a chat with your carer about how things are looked after in your placement. Every household is different, but remember that your personal needs and privacy are important wherever you are living.

Who will pay for the things you need?
Your carer receives some money from the Department to pay for your food, clothes and everyday things like your toothbrush, shampoo, haircuts, basic medical treatment and general items from the pharmacy. If you need money for extra things, you can talk to your carer or case worker. Sometimes they won’t be able to make the decision straight away and will have to check with their Team Leader or District Director. They will tell you when a decision is made. You have the right to get the essential things you need, at the right time. 

Do you get pocket money?
All children and young people in care may receive pocket money until they are 16 years old. The amount you get will depend on how old you are. You can ask your case worker or the Advocate for Children in Care if you want information about pocket money. After you are 16 years old, you might be able to get a Centrelink allowance. The Department does not give you pocket money if you get a Centrelink allowance, if you have a job or if your parents are paying some money.

Who makes the decisions about what you are allowed to do?
This depends on what you are asking to do. Your carers can make some everyday decisions like signing most permission slips from school, and deciding if you can stay at a friend’s house for a night. Some bigger decisions can only be made by your case worker, your parents or your case worker’s Team Leader or District Director. These people have to make some hard decisions, for example, letting you have an operation or giving you permission to do an activity where you could get hurt. Your District Director is the person who decides whether you can travel to other parts of Australia or overseas.

Talk to your carer or case worker about specific things that you might want to do.

  Become a Foster Carer
You won't always see where they go. But you can help them get there. Become a foster carer. 1800 024 453
| | Accessibility | Self Service | Staff Email | Contact Us | Other Languages Other Languages